This hidden park was first created within the Upton Park estate in Slough in 1842. It was purchased in 1949 by Slough Borough Council and renamed Herschel Park.
In 2010 it benefited from a £2.7m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund which was used to restore the park to its former Victorian glory. The works were contracted to the Landscape Group and architects LDA Design Consulting LLP.
The full restoration included refurbishment of the lake and construction of new stone bridges, extensive soft landscaping, installation of irrigation systems, lighting and footpaths. The Victorian coach house was also transformed into a Visitor centre.
The project subsequently won a British Association of Landscape Industries (BALI) award in 2011 in the Restoration and Regeneration Scheme category.